Chlorthalidone should be stored at room temperature, between 20-25°C, and away from light. 1,2 According to guidelines set by the U.S. Pharmacopeia (USP), in addition to storing chlorthalidone away from light, chlorthalidone should also be stored away from heat and humidity.3
Bathroom cabinets, a common place for storage, may actually damage medications.4,5 According to the National Institute of Health (NIH) and the National Council on Patient Information and Education (NCPIE), the heat and moisture from the shower, sink, and bath can lead to decreased potency and premature expiration.4,5
- Chlorthalidone. Truven Health Analytics. www.micromedexsolutions.com. Accessed August 28, 2017.
- Product Information: chlorthalidone oral tablets. Mylan Pharmaceuticals, Inc. www.mylan.com. Accessed August 28, 2017.
- Use and Storage of USP Reference Standards. U.S. Pharmacopeia (USP). http://www.usp.org/reference-standards/use-and-storage. Accessed August 28, 2017.
- Storing your medicines. National Institute of Health U.S. National Library of Medicine MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia. https://medlineplus.gov/ency/patientinstructions/000534.htm. Accessed August 16, 2017.
- Tips on Safe Storage and Disposal of your Prescription Medicines. 2008; http://www.bemedwise.org/medication-safety/drug-storage-and-disposal.