As a person with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), any of your doctors can check your cholesterol levels, as long as they follow up with you to discuss your results. Your primary care provider (PCP) or family doctor may test your cholesterol levels, but your rheumatologist is also able to check and understand your results.   It doesn’t matter who orders the test as long as you get your cholesterol checked regularly.

blood draw

In addition to getting your cholesterol levels checked your doctor should also assess your overall risk of heart and blood vessel disease. Make sure both your PCP and rheumatologist get the results of any tests you get. They can help you lower your risk of a heart attack or stroke.

If you have SLE, check your cholesterol with your PCP!